Thought I would share with you my very first garden. I fought hard for this garden. First, we "didn't have any room" for a garden (even though we have a huge yard). Second, I wasn't going to get any help building a garden. Third, I wasn't going to get any help maintaining a garden. Basically, the garden was my idea, and as such it was completely my responsibility. OK, I can deal with that, but every suggested "place" for my garden was shot down by the head commander. FINALLY, we agreed on a place for it...I got right to work.
I am doing a Lasagna garden. Basically, I make a bunch of organic layers that I plant my seeds/plants in. You layer wet newspaper on your grass and then start building your garden on top of the newspaper. As I was building my layers, I needed a way to contain all my "organic matter" so I used what I had on hand and didn't have to do any "building" with. Firewood has become the framework to my garden.
I have walkways between my planting beds that are made out of mulch. Kind of rustic looking, but I really kind of like it. 
I have planted carrots, radish, spinach, cucumber (few types), green beans, tomatoes, musk melon, and zucchini (I think that is it). In between some of my plants I also planted marigolds. Those help keep some "predators" away.
Our family is not a huge tomato eater. As a matter of fact, we don't eat any plain tomatoes. So why am I planting tomatoes? I hope to make my own tomato sauce (and can it), tomato paste, salsa and any other form of tomato somethings I feel like making. So if you have any good tomato sauce recipes let me know, I would love to try them out!
Last but not least, a picture of my cilantro. Tim has hooked me on this stuff, so I decided to grow it. That way I have it on hand to use at my whim. I have been throwing it into all kinds of stuff.

So there you have it. My beautiful rustic garden, that I am proud of. It was a lot of hard work, but I think it will be so exciting when I can feed my family fresh veggies that I have grown.
Our family is not a huge tomato eater. As a matter of fact, we don't eat any plain tomatoes. So why am I planting tomatoes? I hope to make my own tomato sauce (and can it), tomato paste, salsa and any other form of tomato somethings I feel like making. So if you have any good tomato sauce recipes let me know, I would love to try them out!
Last but not least, a picture of my cilantro. Tim has hooked me on this stuff, so I decided to grow it. That way I have it on hand to use at my whim. I have been throwing it into all kinds of stuff.
So there you have it. My beautiful rustic garden, that I am proud of. It was a lot of hard work, but I think it will be so exciting when I can feed my family fresh veggies that I have grown.
Blessings!
No comments:
Post a Comment