I am taking a momentary break from blogging about my weekend...to have a therapy session here on my blog. It is free and completely able to handle my furry.
So tonight was another of Micah's baseball games. It is so frustrating to watch a group of boys totally disrespect adult authority. It is frustrating that my son has to be on a team of misfit boys who don't care and who's parents don't care. It is frustrating that Kevin and I seem to be the only parents who CARE that their son learns how to play the game of baseball. I hate hearing "they are only 7/8yr olds". That is a line of bull (I know my words are getting a bit strong). If my son can play Chess and know what each player does and how they move and can play the game so well that he can beat Kevin...then he can learn how to play each position in baseball. Children learn more than what you think they can.
Let me give you a picture of what a game looks like.....
You have 5 boys in the outfield. 3 of the 5 are sitting down playing in the dirt and throwing stones. The "pitcher" (the coach is the one who actually pitches the ball) is standing with his back to the batter talking to the second base player about the dirt. When the ball is hit...it is a grounder that goes right passed the said pitcher (with his back towards the batter), flies by second base because he is too busy talking to the pitcher, into right center field by one of the sitting outfielders. You have the right fielder, left center and shortstop all to the ball before the right center fielder stands up to try and get the ball. Then you have four boys (one of whom is holding the ball) stand there looking at each other wondering what they were going to do with this little white circular thing that we call a BALL.
It was after that play that I decided that if the coach wasn't going to get on these kids then I was. I walked myself out into the outfield and positioned myself between the two worst offenders (one of them being one of the coaches sons). Yes, I believe that I mentioned in my last post that I was "one of those parents". I will not deny it. I am sure that the other parents dislike me strongly. I am sure the coaches even shutter when they see me coming. I even tried to have a conversation with one of the coaches tonight about the boys sitting on the bench when it is our turn to bat, instead of throwing dirt, climbing the fence, wrestling, dumping dirt in other boys water bottles. The coach did not say one word to me...he looked at his very important clipboard told one of the kids to put on a helmet and walked away. Did I say I was FRUSTRATED!!
When I was out in the outfield, I told "O" (the coaches son) to stop throwing rocks at people and pay attention. He looked at me picked up another rock and threw it further out into the outfield. I said "I told you to stop throwing rocks, you are going to hurt someone". He said "no I'm not, I threw it back there". HELLO can you say disrespectful. If my son EVER said that to an adult.....
Here is my opinion.....
Most of the boys are allowed to be completely disrespectful at home, therefore they don't respect other adults. The parents just don't care. It is not their job to teach their boys how to play, it is the coaches job and therefore, adopt the attitude of "it's not my problem my child is sitting down and not paying attention, it's the coaches problem". The parents also think that the children can't comprehend the WHOLE game of baseball, therefore don't overload them with information about the game. Let them continue to think that every ball they field needs to get thrown to first base...even though they are the third baseman and there is a runner running to their base.
OH, I could go on and on...I would love to take Micah off the team and be done with all this frustration. But is that fair to him?? Is that what I want to teach him...when the going gets tough, move on?? I am sure his future wife would not appreciate that. So what do you do? He has another game tomorrow and I am going to take another approach. I am going to sit in my chair and keep my mouth shut. I am going to encourage my son, I am going to "coach" him and let him know what each position he plays does. Heck, I might even be out on that field and shadow him as he plays, instructing him in the game of baseball...since his coaches aren't doing it. But then I guess I won't be sitting in my chair then will I... Anyway, I am going to let all the other kids look like the misfit boys they are. Our team looks like a bunch of monkey's compared to the other teams.
I just feel so sorry for Micah, he deserves a better team than this. He is a hardworking respectful little boy who wants to do his best...and this team just doesn't allow him to do his best.
1 comment:
Sadly, I think the world is going to continue to get more and more "disrespectful" and "misfit" boys becasue the majority of parents are too wrapped up in themselves to do their job. They feel it is the bus driver's job, the teacher's job, the neighbor's job, the coach's job or what have you to train (control, as they are not interested in training) their child while they talk on their cell phone, go out for pedicures, lose themselves in the screen of a computer looking at God only knows what while and their children are left to raise themselves. In fact, I would bet that the other parents don't find you taking charge offensive, they were probably thinking "phew, I'm gald she did that...now I can keep my little butt parked right here doing what I want." Hmmm, is it an wonder that today's children are all about what they want? Not only that, these children are being taught to stand there with their hand out rather than work for what they need and our wonderful government gives them the vehicles they need to actually be a disresrespectful misfit adulats who say "Hey world, you really CAN have your cake and eat it too!"
I'll get off my soapbox now...thanks for the therapy.
Sorry for taking out my angst on your blog.
BTW, keep being one of "those parents" which clearly just means...be A parent.
Post a Comment