Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Chess

Okay, I have to admit that there are things that I don't even think about introducing to my children because:

a. I don't like it

b. I don't get it

c. I don't even think about it



Chess falls into the "all of the above" category. I don't like the game, because I don't get it, so why even think about playing it....



Well, Ama and Poppop dropped that game off last week and let me tell you it has been a huge hit with Micah. It took Kevin an hour to explain all the game pieces and what each one does. I was bored after listening for the first 5 min. Neither of us thought that Micah was even old enough to "get it", but he proved us wrong when after Kevin was done explaining everything, he repeated back to Kevin everything Kevin had told him about each piece. We were both amazed.

Since that informative night, Micah and Kevin have been playing that game almost every day. We know that Micah understands it, because he is now teaching all of his friends how to play it too.
So my question is this.... What do good 6 year old chess players grow up to be???

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Micah!! I never did understand how to pay chess!!

Ama

Kaira said...

not sure... but nick has loved chess for years. he used to play online with his grandpa in texas :)