Friday, May 2, 2008

Butterflies

Two weeks ago we went to see the butterflies at the Gardens with Ama (Kevin's Mom). It was a beautiful day and the butterflies were very active. Which was great for me, but not so much for the kids. They all developed a fear of the butterflies for some crazy reason. They all loved to take pictures of them, but they better not fly by them otherwise they would be jumping and running for cover.

Here is a basic rule for trying to take a picture of all three kids with butterflies flying all around. DON'T! Otherwise you will get pictures that look like these:


I love these pictures because they capture the faces (especially of Tyler) that I saw every time a butterfly came around. Micah was the bravest of the three and since he is a "pleaser" he would have continued to sit there until Ama and I were happy. Tyler was having none of that he wanted out and his face shows that. Jillian was trying to sit like a good girl, but she couldn't stop keeping a lookout for those sneaky little flyer's.


I love all the butterflies, but my favorite is the blue one (sorry I don't know it's real name). The outside of it's wings are brown and you would never know how beautiful they are on the inside. But for the life of me, I couldn't find any that weren't in flight to capture with my camera. I gave up trying so I handed my camera off to Micah. Then a whole colony came flying by and Micah captured them in flight. Try and count how many there are in this picture.

So how many did you count?? There was 6 of them. Then he captured the next one and I was truly amazed. Perfect composition (if your following the rule of thirds), perfect exposure (he had a little help with that) and it's as clear as if the butterfly was just sitting. With the wings flapping at like 100 miles an hour (slightly exaggerated) I couldn't have taken a better picture!

OK, next post I will show you another picture of all three kids at the Gardens....again it just makes me smile!

Blessings!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Annalise would tell you that it is the blue morpho butterfly