Kevin decided that a trip to Racine Wisconsin was in order, but this trip was going to be kept a secret from the kids. We were not going to tell them that we were even going anywhere until the morning we were leaving and even then, we were only going to tell them what to pack.
The day before we were leaving I baked 3 loaves of cinnamon bread because I can't disappoint my nephews and niece and not bring any. It would be like me going to Racine and not buying any Kringle. Just.Not.Going.To.Happen.
Friday morning dawns a beautiful day. We tell the kids to pack and we get the house ready to leave. They tried and tried to figure out where we were going for the weekend. At one point Tyler says, "if Mom takes that cinnamon bread then I know where we are going!" I had to hide the bread in my overnight bag so they wouldn't know I took it!
We left and the kids kept trying to figure out where we were going. There were a few times, we thought they would get it when they saw the signs, but nope. We hit Chicago and they thought we were spending the weekend there, until we were through the city and we hadn't stopped.
It was as were were exiting off the highway onto Hwy 20 did Micah finally guess we were going to their cousin's house. Then he quickly exclaimed "The Land of Kringle!"
Weekends together always include, late nights, breakfasts of cinnamon bread and kringle, lots and lots of games and this time....
Yup we went roller skating. I think it had been at least 20 years since I had donned roller skates. I thought for sure I would end up on my butt! Thankfully I didn't, but I was close a few times!
Now Andy... Well, he is the guy that flies around the rink barely moving his feet, he crosses his legs back and forth, he skates backwards and everything... he has skills. I tried to get is hair blowing out behind him as he came around the corner, but my iPhone just couldn't capture the flowing locks. But I think we can all agree that he could pass as Jesus on roller skates.
This is some of the "group" coming around the corner. Carey doesn't usually skate like this... she was putting her moves on for the camera.. neither does Kevin for that matter...
Then I tried to be all awesome and take pictures of everyone behind me while skating... They are blurry but they make me smile. As I was trying to take them, more and more of our group tried getting into it so I had to keep raising my phone higher and higher... so only my forehead is in them.
Here is one of just us adults... Kevin snuck into the picture just as I was taking it.
This is Tyler.
Here is a picture of all the kids.
Oh I almost forgot! Before we went skating Andy made us all cotton candy. How many roller skating Jesus' do you know that have their own cotton candy machines?! So we sugared them up to take them skating. Worked out beautifully.
Here is a picture of the girls. They could either be found in Emily's room or in the basement dancing to a wii game. Not once did we hear "I'm bored" or "we have nothing to do" they are just like their Momma's. Carey and I could keep ourselves occupied for hours as girls... even if we were just laying on a bunk bed giggling.
Ok, one last picture.... it's the ceremonial picture that must be taken every time Carey and I are together. We started this tradition I think when we were pre-teens??
The weekend was too short and flew by too fast. We are already planning our next time together... hopefully it will be longer than just a weekend (hint, hint Andy... aka Jesus on roller skates... the pond awaits your exploration)!!














2 comments:
how fun! and rollerskating?! what a riot. you and carey look like sisters!!
It warms my heart that you find friends and fun in Racine! Mom
Post a Comment